Tuesday, September 23, 2008

It's supposed to be ready this weekend...

...but I'll believe it when I see it. Cynical, ain't she?

The house, that is, ready for us to move in. We did meet with the cabinetmaker yesterday, and I liked him. Professional, quiet, intelligent, and happy to do something that's not cookie-cutter; it was encouraging.

DH picked up the butcher block from Ikea on Saturday, and I have been purging, packing and donating up a storm. There's still more to go, but I have worked hard, and please God, this weekend should go pretty smoothly.

My bosses (who really are wonderful) have allowed me a half-day on Friday and all of Monday. That's going to be a big help. Breathing space on both ends. AND they are allowing us the loan of a van to transport the big stuff. Most of the packed items will already be at the house by Saturday, I think.

Almost the best part about being in there? I'll be able to work on the outside without too much guilt. Last weekend I had to spend all the time I had inside, and the weather was lovely!

I will rake up the rest of the mulch and dig up as much of the garden as I can manage.

Also, we want to plant holly and peonies, and hydrangeas. The bulbs will have to go in, too.

DH wants ivy around the perimeter (I think it's going to look terrific) and we'll probably have most annuals toward the front.

I'd also like a flagstone path in front of the greenery; easier to get to them and prune without damaging the more delicate plants. I found one flagstone while I was rooting out one of the tree stumps, so someone else liked the idea too.

I hope we're able to find old pictures of the place someday, and see what the earliest owners did with the front garden.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You certainly are motivated! I wish I like to plant. I put things in that don't need too much attention, and then when they do, I usually con my sister into doing whatever it is they require.

Eileen said...

It's funny, I never was all that motivated before this...as a kid I was pretty lazy with such things.

But now I have years and years of rental living to make up (for)!