Friday, October 24, 2008

Halloween, 1930s Style




The 1930s Halloween was still a time of pranks rather than a lot of treats, and big parties were for grown-ups. Elegant masquerades with corny decorations and elaborate menus were the order of the socialite Halloween.

To that end, I've been collecting Deco style Halloween decor. Luckily, this year the 30s style designs are making a come-back. I'm getting all I can now! Last night I even found some paddle games with "carved pumpkin" paddles. Plastic, of course, rather than crepe or cardboard, but they look wonderful. Last weekend DH found some crepe reproduction jack o'lantern bowls, and I picked up a few creepy details at Archie McPhee, including three 30s reproduction Halloween masks.

Our guests have been given a choice between black tie (we'll provide the masks) or their own costumes. I'm going to make as much autumn themed food as I can, and it will be served on china and crystal and silver.

Last month I found a 30s punchbowl at my favorite thrift shop. It was only $8.00, and there were 9 cups as well as the bowl. I'll also have hot cider (booze on the side for spiking) and seltzer water. We'll provide wine, too.

I have a book of old radio scripts for "The Shadow", and we're thinking of copying some out to stage our own radio play. A few of us in the crowd have been on stage and I think it will be wonderful.

For music I have "The Sorcerer's Apprentice", the Verdi "Requiem", Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet" and a CD full of spooky jazz tracks from the 20s, 30s and 40s. We even have a stack of OTR recordings from the "Suspense!" show.

I love to give parties, and it's been a long time since I've been able to indulge myself. We're going to have a swell time.

2 comments:

Abe Lucas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abe Lucas said...

I'm impressed with your discoveries! I uncovered a Calvert Liquor (is that label defunct?) party & recipe booklet from 1960-61 and managed to use some of those party ideas, so if the "Mad Men" mood strikes, I'm all set. I liked your comment regarding 1930s Halloween parties in that they were meantfor adults. Ahh, the days when children were seen and not heard--though I'm old enough to remember that credo being used!