Tuesday, October 16, 2012

An Old-Fashioned Contest

About a month ago we found one of the usual "neighborhood" flyers in the mailbox. We don't always get around to looking at them, as they're often tucked in with shop ads and other unsolicited stuff, but this time I managed to read it.

Later this month (the day before Halloween) there's a neighborhood cooking contest...pumpkin is the theme, and costumes are encouraged. I thought it said "baking contest" and so, I've been perfecting a baked item. It's taken some work, because I'm more inclined to use pumpkin in savory dishes (consider the recipes on the blog--pumpkin soup, pumpkin chili). My husband has been very game, and swears he's not tired of pumpkin yet.

At this point I'm on version #4, and it's good. I'm still working out the bells and whistles, but I think it's a winner, in theory if not in fact.

I'm really looking forward to this event. It's going to be held at a local bakery, a really excellent place for bread, in particular. The judges--no specific names have been mentioned--are said to be local chefs. That would be impressive in most places, but here in Providence, almost intimidating. The food here is spectacular. We have The Dorrance, La Laiterie, Cook & Brown, Chez Pascal, Hemenway's...and many more.

Not so sure about the costume part of things; I'd rather concentrate on the food aspect, though my husband swears that if I show up in my usual 30s style attire, carrying an old-fashioned cake dome, I'll win both.

It's going to be crowded. Seven Stars isn't a big place, in terms of square feet, and it's very popular, with people of all ages. There will be lots of people, including many children, and I'm sure most of them will be on a sugar high already.

I'm looking forward to this. It's going to be fun. With any luck I'll be organized enough to bring the camera so you'll be able to get a look at the (organized?) chaos.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yours is sure to be a winner; and your costume too!