Saturday, April 18, 2020

The Violets That Bloom in the Spring

The squirrels are extra destructive this year. They have already destroyed the seed potatoes I just set out. And today we had snow.

But a couple of days ago I made violet syrup. I've meant to make it for years, it's supposed to be very good for coughs. And I like violets. And the taste of violets.



Here's one of the uses I put it to...a violet daiquiri. In fact, you could certainly use it for any cocktail that requires simple syrup, so long as the violet taste wouldn't clash with other ingredients.

Unfortunately, the violets I have are the American variety; just as beautiful as English violets, but they have no scent and little taste. Luckily, I have violet essence (extract); I ordered some from England several years ago.

So I have finally made violet syrup, and now it's available for cocktails and for use as a medicine. I also hope to pick more violets and leaves in order to make violet tea; again, very good for coughs. And violets contain a great deal of Vitamin C. The leaves, especially when young and tender, are excellent for salads, and they can be eaten in quantity. All through the warmer months I treat them like cut-and-come-again salad greens.

Violet Syrup

violets
violet leaves
boiling water
sugar
lemon juice
violet essence
vodka or gin
_________________________________________________________

Pick several cups of violets and violet leaves. If necessary, rinse them gently.

Pack into a quart canning jar, and cover with boiling water; cover, and leave for 24 hours.

The next day, strain out the liquid. For every cup of liquid, measure out two cups of granulated sugar.

Put the strained liquid into the top of a double boiler. (If you do not have one, a mixing bowl over a pot large enough to hold it will do nicely. Don't let the water in the bottom pot touch the surface of the bowl).

When the water in the pot begins to simmer, begin to slowly add the sugar, stirring as you go. If it looks very cloudy, slow down. When it clears again, add more sugar. Do this until all of the sugar has been dissolved in the liquid, which will probably a celadon green.

If you would prefer a violet color, add a few drops of lemon juice; this will change the Ph of the solution, and so, the color.

Strain through a fine strainer lined with cheesecloth. Add about 1 teaspoon of spirits to every two cups of the solution, and a drop or two of violet essence. Taste as you go; the essence can be overwhelming if over-used.

I put some into a bottle for the fridge, to have easy access for cocktails and such. I canned the remainder, so as to have it for coughs or to replenish the cocktail supply.

I used jelly jars, and processed the jars for 25 minutes, as the solution is not acidic.




No comments: