Wednesday, April 15, 2020

1931 in 2020...Pullovers and Plans and Possibilities

It's 2020--and I'm still knitting for the 20th Century. Which, I imagine, I will be doing for the rest of my life.

This time, it's a May 1931 pullover, found in Madame Weigel's Journal of Fashion. Some years ago, I had a pen pal (pen friend) on Ravelry, a woman from New Zealand. She very kindly sent me the most wonderful old pattern booklets--things that had belonged to an aunt of hers, I believe. They originated in Australia.

I  still have all of them, and my favorites, of course, are the ones from the 1920s and 1930s. This pullover is utterly classic, and even the most modern of 2020 eyes (pun intended) wouldn't see it as odd. It's going to look wonderful, I hope, with a good number of my skirts. The yarn is a 3-ply, rescued from a thrift (charity, op-shop) sweater; two plies of hunter green, one of navy blue. Shetland yarn, my favorite. It's even likely to coordinate with my treasured green jodphurs. Unfortunately, I cannot get the color to show up properly.

It will, I hope, have at least a few outings, tweed outings...rambles and such, as well as being worn more for the city, as in the original photo. That's the plan. I miss my friends greatly.

From start to finish, not including sewing up, it took about 2.5 weeks. It's a hip-length pullover, with pockets and long sleeves...on #4 (American) needles. Staying up till all hours has a silver lining, I suppose.

I hope to do the sewing-up this week.





It was a lot of "mindless knitting", the kind I love. Perfect for keeping the needles clicking along while listening to a radio play (thanks, Auntie Beeb!) or music, or even while reading a book on Kindle or watching a show or film.

In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I just ordered enough new Shetland yarn from WEBS to make another sweater...maybe even the same one again. This time, the yarn is a heathered lilac, very light in color.

No comments: