Friday, May 02, 2008

May Day!

Okay, that was yesterday. Still....it's been a Week. As I don't think my "day job" should be part of this, I'll leave it at that.



I'm not doing a whole lot of knitting right now. I did spend most of yesterday evening trying to find cute (but not twee) baby patterns. I'd love to make a dress.

Nope! Not us; a colleague at the office. And as she's the daughter of an antiques dealer, and her mother was a knitter, she gets it. Well-worth knitting for.



I have nearly an entire slim bookcase stuffed with knitting books. You'd think something would catch my eye.



No.



There are plenty of vintage patterns, but they're fine gauge, and I want to make too many things this year to be caught up in a project that takes a couple of months to finish. There is a Knitty pattern I like; several in fact. That might be the way to go. (Sorry, I can't remember the names of them off the top of my head...oh. I lie. Tulip Toes is one. The other is a dress, very cute and bright.)



Some of the free patterns on the Net are cute, but I don't know...I want to be sure that I have the right yarn. The mother-to-be has an 18 month old son, works full time, and this coming girl will keep her busier than ever! It's got to be machine washable or it'll never be worn. Cascade 220 Superwash is probably the best bet, but I have only blue and rust in the Stash right now. My LYS doesn't carry it. The machine washable worsted they have is 75% acrylic. The colors are excellent, but I've tried knitting with it. Too squeaky for me, I shudder just thinking of it.



The Presto Change-o baby sweater from Jimmy Beans is adorable (I made one last year) but I'd like to do something else. I don't know, though...maybe I should make that and just change the front panel a bit. Or make multiple panels. It really is a fantastically practical and cute pattern.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Eileen,
I made a dress nearing 20 years ago where I just knit the bodice and sewed it onto a simple skirt. I think I used something like Tahki cottons and picked colors that matched the skirt cloth. The youngster in question apparently wore it for a couple years until it didn't fit anymore. I think I have pictures somewhere I'll try to find them & get them into flickr for you to see.

suky

p.s. i don't check the gmail account often. go ahead and reply to work email if you need to.

Eileen said...

That would be quick! If I did that, I could make her a few. H'mmm. Thanks. =^..^=