Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Quince Brandy

 
 
About five years ago I planted a small quince bush. I haven't had any viable fruit--either it just didn't set, or the squirrels bit into it and threw it away (someday I will write a monograph on the Squirrel Mafia in our town).
 
THIS year, a miracle occurred. I found not one, but three--very tiny--fruits on the bush when I went into the garden today. The large fruit next to them is half of a lemon.



I wasn't sure what to do with such a small yield, but finally decided that to maximize what I had, a cordial of sorts was the answer. Even for a cordial, though, that's not much fruit, so I got inventive, after digging around through some of my British cookbooks and online sites.
 
 
I made quince-lemon brandy (at least, I hope so).
 
 
Quince-Lemon Brandy
 
1/3 c. finely minced or shredded quince
juice and zest of half a lemon
1/4 cinnamon stick
1/4 c. sugar
1 scant pint of brandy or cognac
 
Combine all ingredients in a Mason jar, stir well, cover tightly, and put away in a dark place for three months.
 
Strain and re-bottle; taste and add additional sugar, if necessary.
 
 
In three months I'll either let you know how it turned out, or I'll have forgotten about it entirely!

No comments: