Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wondermade Bourbon Marshmallows

This was a gift from the marvelous Jan of Stock, in Providence, RI. With a proviso: that I experiment with it and report back!



I'm nothing if not grateful for anything with a touch of bourbon in it, so here goes!


In a cup of whiskey-spiked mocha.
I made mocha with organic cocoa, instant espresso powder, 1% milk, water, and a half teaspoon of rye whiskey (we're out of bourbon).

I'm not generally a marshmallow fan, but these are very good--what a tradional marshmallow ought to be, I think. They taste fresh out of the package, and have a good, fluffy texture. The melt is quick and even.



Melting nicely...
 I would also serve these in miniature s'mores. They'd be wonderful for a comfort food dinner party dessert. Imagine them on chocolate covered graham crackers, with a bourbon-spiked Creme Anglaise on the side!

There are also a number of 1930s and 40s frosting recipes which require marshmallows--I'd use these in a heartbeat.

As for the bourbon flavor...it's very mild, almost not there, but if tested side-by-side with the other available flavors, I think it would be more notable.

All in all, I would buy these, and yes, I'd be interested in trying the other flavors: gingerbread, Guinness, pumpkin pie, peppermint, and s'mores.

This, too: if you're anywhere near the Providence metro area, stop in at Stock (I was planning to mention this long before the marshmallow gift!). It's a beautiful locally owned shop. The items there are classic, or quirky, or both...you'll find kitchen utensils, cookware, bakeware, cookbooks (new and vintage), dish towels, knives...and whatever else has struck the owners' fancies. It changes regularly, so stop in again if you don't find what you're looking for the first time. I've purchased frosting dyes, dish towels, parchment, and a small cutting board, among other things. Who knows what I'll find next time?

No comments: