Monday, February 20, 2012

Mardi Gras Brings You...

...masks.

I know. There should be pictures. (Sorry.) However, we're going to a Mardi Gras party tomorrow. DH doesn't want to wear a costume, but he thought he'd like a mask. Me, too.

He'll be in black tie, but I'm going a bit steampunk. Think Idris (Sexy. Mrs. Doctor [Who]). I've dug out an old--15 years or more--stage costume, including corset, and though I won't be as Suranna Jones was costumed, the look will be similar.

The masks are quite simple. I took a plain plastic mask and used it as a pattern. It has two layers: one of brown felt, for against the face, and one of burnt black velvet, for the outside. My husband's is very plain. It's velvet, with binding around the outide, and fabric ties. Mine is of the same fabric, but with beadwork around the eyes. The ties (not yet attached) will also be of fabric.

These are the second and third masks I've made from scratch, after the papier mache mask I made for a Halloween event.

Who else makes masks, and how? Of what fabrics?

No comments: