Monday, February 15, 2010

The Sweater Continues

I recommend knitting lots of socks if you want to make a small gauge sweater. I've become so used to sock gauge that this thing is just flying along. Front & back are done, and bound together by a three needle bind off at the shoulders.

I needed to re-write the sleeves, as the original pattern called for long and I wanted short, but that's just about done. The real question was whether to pick up and knit (using a certain amount of short row shaping) or knit and sew in. It's probably going to be the second. And the knitting will be from the ribbing up, as the alternative includes too much casting on for large increases from the top.

This isn't exactly scintillating copy, is it? But it's interesting to me because it's an examination of a creative process. At the end of it I'll also have not only a new sweater, but a new 1930s sweater.

Not uninteresting after all.

2 comments:

Abe Lucas said...

Psst! Thought you'd be interested in this swell blog post on Robert Benchley. Tell him I sent you! ;)

http://www.movietone-news.com/2010/01/magnificent-mr-benchley.html

Eileen said...

Oh, I saw that! You're right, it's great. Thanks for reminding me, I'll pass it along.