Friday, June 05, 2009

Advantages to the Vintage Lifestyle (or a reasonable facsimile thereof)

There are quite a few...the charmed old man who tells you that you look just as his mother did as she was getting ready to paint the town red with his dad; the dance partner who tells you about his aunt, who worked in the airplane factory; the wonderful things people pass on from Great-Auntie Muriel's estate, "because you'll appreciate it". Those are all lovely.

Here's another: my hairdresser just offered to trade services. She'll do my hair for free next time if I'll show her the mysteries of a set with rag curlers. It's a wonderful offer.

I've been going to her salon for a few years now. Not often, because I tend to color and cut my own hair most of the time, and having had very long hair at one point (knee length) I grew up regarding salons as a luxury, not a necessity. But she always does a gorgeous job on cuts, colors, and blow-outs. Sets and putting hair up aren't really her thing, but she's growing her own hair out now, and has found that she wants to experiment a bit.

It's flattering and really nice of her. She even suggested we do this on a Sunday, so we've got lots of time for it.

Chalk up another advantage to eccentricity!

3 comments:

Abe Lucas said...

"Chalk up another advantage to eccentricity!"

I call it "individuality."

Eileen said...

I call it a Plus. :-^D

I'm looking forward to it; it's going to be fun.

Batty said...

That's excellent! You really are very good with the vintage hair. Most people I know can't manage hair that looks like pictures from a modern magazine, and this includes some people with ridiculous hair budgets. You manage to look like you stepped right out of a 30's mag, and you do your own hair... no wonder she wants lessons.